Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2019, 04:46:06 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Most Memorable Lavon Moment  (Read 4395 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

I haven't been fihing lavon for even just one year now, but two really stand out for me.

1 - my pb blue of 43#'s on the yak.
2 - a few days before christmas last year it was 76 degrees and took my boys fishing. didn't catch a single thing but had the biggest deja vu moment of when I was with my dad when I was a little kid. hit home for me

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

God Bless you arborist. I am so thankful to God and the two gentlemen that helped you  stay alive. Thank you for sharing your story. I for one will remember it when the weather gets cold. I always try to be one step ahead and think before I do. I always wear my life jacket all the time in the winter because it helps keep me warm on top of it could save my life.  I am glad you are still with us Smiley

I guess my most memorable moment was when I got that boat of mine up to 71mph.  icon_eek I was shocked. I got my boat with a 21 pitch prop on it which come to find out was not near enough pitch. The most I could get was 61mph out of it and hit the rev limiter several times. Then I put that 26 tempest plus on there and WOW!!! icon_eek The boat was moving. At 71 mph it starts to chine walk and I shut it down. That was the last time I went that fast. I guess I didn't realize what kind of power that motor on there had. I have only been in boats that would top out at 40 to 45 mph. So that being said I never go that fast again because it could be dangerous.

My second most moment was last winter in November when I discovered the Glass House and I caught sandies for 8 hours straight up by the bank in 1 to 5 feet of water. I was throwing with my eyes closed and hooked one every time LOL. Too bad it looks like I will miss that this year because of no ramp launching. Smiley

-------------------------
Keith Smiley

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I remember growing up and crappie fishing with my dad.  Those were fun times.

When I first got my boat, it was windy.. like 35-40 mph from the north, but i was bound and determined to get on the lake. so I took it to eastfork, and didnt realize there was a cove on the other side.
My first clue should have been the couple of waves that came over the back of the boat..
but i got it started, and put my wife in the front seat.  and we went out to the middle of the lake, halfway to the island, and then right back to the ramp.
the wind picked up more, and the water was ice cold. The wife didnt want to learn how to back a trailer, so i left her in the boat with a quick guide on starting the engine..
poor girl.. i only had a small rope tied to the front of the boat, and the waves were huge for lavon..  so when i got back down to the dock after getting the trailer situated, she was sitting in a foot of water, getting pounded by waves coming over the bow of the boat.   icon_eek
I got it all put up good though.. and my wife didnt say anything at all until we pulled out of the park.. "did you really know what you were doing? "  ' of course honey, I know i almost got us killed'

And then, that next summer I got laid off of my job, and that little boat wa all I had to keep me from going insane.  I chased the sandies every day and set my pb for 21 consecutive cast/catches.
and the biggest black bass i ever caught at lavon, by the dam. 

I worked on the boat a bit here and there, and sold it thinking i was gonna get a bigger boat.   I havent got a bigger boat yet.  icon_rolleyes

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

A lot of great times, but now I'm thinking the last time I could back down the ramp and hit water was the most memorable  icon_lol

tight-lines...Mike
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

tex@northtexasguideservice.com

And then there was the time Brent and I were fishing the north pasture when a mighty thunderstorm with lots of lightening came up from the south.  Couldn't head toward the ramp because that is where the storm was coming from.   We were posted up and had bait clickers going off but neither of us was willing to stand up in the boat to get the fishes.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

A lot of great times, but now I'm thinking the last time I could back down the ramp and hit water was the most memorable  icon_lol

I think I am going to join in with  you on that one Mike . icon_lol

Keith Smiley

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Been here a while, got a few.

One winter 20+ yrs ago, stink bait fishing under the birds on the north end with my brother. We had ice on our rod guides, so the line wouldn’t go through anymore. Everything was frozen, even the stink bait, so we left. (Soured maize never freezes!). When we got back to the boat ramp, we had to bust up the ice in the tire tracks to get the truck traction to get out. Funny thing, it was a bright sunny day, but we had the lake to ourselves.   icon_cool

Back in the late 80’s, just beginning to learn how to crappie fish on Lavon from an old timer in Farmersville, (LA Addington) when I lived in Princeton. I was out by myself and not catching anything for hours. I remembered him saying ‘they were tight to cover’. So on a step of faith… I stuck my rod tip deep into this small cluster of nasty thorny green bois d’ arc  in about 4 ft of water… and actually caught one!
Now we just call that ‘jungle fishing’. My boat will always be scratched up and sometimes full of sticks, spiders, etc. because of that.   icon_biggrin
Earlier this year, I got first place in a WM tourney in Hugo. I know I was fishing behind other people shallow, but I would work my boat into some nasty briars and bushes... and pulled out a 2 lbr. I remembered my Lavon jungle fishing training and even thought about that very first crappie twenty something years ago.

More recent moments...
After moving to the south end of the lake in the late 90's, very frustrating for years because all I knew was the shallow north end. Then something Jerry said about timber around the 17’ level where the old lake used to be… opened it up for me.

Sunday a week ago, had a nice morning of fishing with my wife. We brought home 20 nice keepers, prolly caught over 50, and had a lot of fun. Driving back home from the lake, she said ‘You know this isn’t normal… don’t you?’
Actually it was pretty amazing to me that she ‘gets it’. It’s a pretty good feeling when your wife really appreciates all the hard work you put in… to have fun!

Thanks for sharing all the stories. My favorite is still Tex hanging on to that tree!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

Still cracks me up every time...

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Texexp/Misc%20Crappie%20and%20Fishing/th_doug_in_tree_llf.jpg
Most Memorable Lavon Moment

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Sure do like that THUMP!

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Texexp/th_Sunriseovergapinisland3.jpg
Most Memorable Lavon Moment

Actually, I try to make every trip to Lady Lavon memorable. The picture above is with my back to Collin looking east on a calm day, with the sun rising between that gap to the island.
It is days like that that I really stop and say to myself, Lady Lavon is a pretty special place... I'm just kinda honored to be here in God's creation... and I'm damn proud to be an American... where we can run bass boats 60 mph across a lake and chase little green fish!   icon_mrgreen

Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:21:27 AM by TexExp
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

that pic of tex never gets old icon_mrgreen

one mans dink is another mans trophy
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Well I have been away for too long but I can tell you mine easily.  Like so many my most memorable was my PB.  Thanks to musky_D too.  It was catching a 41lb Blue.  Got pictures, video, and a great memory thanks to him! Will never forget that day!  Second most memorable was going out with him on a day that the return trip literally froze icicles in my beard. Good Times....

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

tex@northtexasguideservice.com

And I thought that picture was lost when they ran out of memory and deleted ancient posts.  Glad it was recovered. Still one of my favorites as well.

Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:10:46 PM by Tex

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Just goes to show that Tex will do anything to put his clients on fish,Cormorants left so Doug took over  Grin  icon_lol icon_lol

"Whale Chaser"
-Making fish famous since 2008-
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

And then there was the time Brent and I were fishing the north pasture when a mighty thunderstorm with lots of lightening came up from the south.  Couldn't head toward the ramp because that is where the storm was coming from.   We were posted up and had bait clickers going off but neither of us was willing to stand up in the boat to get the fishes.

I remember that day.  We were on the other side of that pasture.  It rained hard that day too, cause we had to leave when we figured out the bilge wasn't working.  THat was the worst thunderstorm I have ever been on the lake and sat through.  I did get hailed on one time, but not for too long.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

When I think back, I have tons of memorable trips and it all makes me wanna go fish!

Lots of memories with lots of folks on here, but the Tawakoni tourney still sits atop the list.

We were prefishing on Friday and there were tons of reports of big fish being caught for 2 weeks leading up to that day.  We hit 7 or 8 spots with big fish at all of them.  Kept moving so that we would not mess things up for ourselves, but knew other boats were gonna be there too.  it is a great feeling to hammer big fish the day before a tourney.  I landed a 57 pounder and we figured we better get outta there.  My memory is leaving me, but I know we caught hundreds of pounds of fish that day.  Went to the gathering that night and everyone was latching onto large fish, so we knew it was gonna be fun.

THe next day the wind layed down a lot from what it was, but we started where we caught the giant the day before.  First fish came wthin 5 minutes and was 25 pounds.  It was the smallest fish of the weekend up to that point and we thought uh oh!  Next fish came within a few minutes and was also 25 pounds.  By 8:30, we had 5 fish that all weighed around 25 pounds.  On any given day, We would wet our pants for that, but this was tawakoni and we were catching larger and knew others would be too.  Kep saying that we needed a kicker and then Ed tied into something over 30, but it came loose.  We were feeling terrible and then the bite slowed.  Figured we missed our big chance.  I kept staring at a nice spot just about 15 yards in front of us with some grass lines.  Made the statement that maybe the fish were holding tight to the lines since the wind was low.  We pulled up and moved no further than that and gave it another go.  FIrst 45 minutes in that hole without a bite!  We started to weigh the fish we had to pass time when I got a good run.  I set the hook and man it was the monster we wanted.  Had it for 15 seconds and then it was gone.  I threw the rod in the bottom of the boat kind mad at myself, and no sooner than it landed, the next reel started screaming.  I yanked the living crap out of this one and we put a 30 something in the boat.  We had our kicker now so we considered it a success.  Little did we know that every 30 minutes on the dot, 2 monster cats were gonna come through and give us the best big fish day of our lives.  It was so hectic at times that we had to stop to count fish so that we didnt make the biggest mistake of our lives.  There was one point where we had 7 in the boat, but thought it was 6.  We ended up tossing back 35 pound fish and not just one.  I remember showing John and Larry one of them wehen we dropped it back in. 

My dad was at the weigh in and got to watch us drag up 206 pounds of 5 fish.  I got to watch somebody come up later and stare at the board with the weights while they were prapring for the gransstanding attempt, and the look on their face still resides in my  memory.  I will not mention names  icon_lol 

Had many days that really stand out, but that one all fell together pretty good.  We did NOT win the tourney either, but it really didn't matter to us. 

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Jump to: