Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2018, 06:21:50 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Gotta be honest about these things...  (Read 8169 times)
LLF Fishing Legend

The fact is, I am a poor swimmer.  If you throw me off the dock, or I fell out of the boat when it was not moving, I swim well enough not to freak out and will manage to get myself to safety.  If I were dumped out in the middle of the lake by accident, the window of time for you to come back for me would be fairly short.  My 8 year old is a better swimmer than I am and is coming along nicely and is generally fearless.  At the same time, I don't really trust that he would keep his head in an emergency.  Therefore...

My question is:  Most comfortable and light weight PFDs that I can get for us to wear while fishing in the boat this year.  Cool as possible and they do not have to be the super duper kind for total non-swimmers.  I am cheap, but if they are super comfy, I am willing to pay some money for them.

Regards,
Brad

-------------------------
Fiberglass, aluminum, pontoons...whatever floats your boat.
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Well Brad what you want ain't cheap! The self inflatibles are the most comfortable to wear but a cheap one is $75 to $100. The better ones are $175. all you gonna git for cheap is the full coverage nylon covered vest type jackets and they will run $25 to 40 bucks icon_exclaim icon_neutral icon_rolleyes

i wanted one of those auto inflating vests but after lookin at the price and my general cheap nature.....I just got some new regular vests in super duper obese size. they were $40 a piece plus shippin!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Never had an auto inflatable. No experience with them at all. Since I am in a tube most of the time, my concern has been the potential for unintentional inflation.  That may not even be realistic, but without having done any investigation, that has been why I have left them alone.
On the other hand, if you are not a good swimmer and you have a child in the boat, I would do whatever I had to do to make sure that whatever PFD I got, would be trustworthy. The extra $$ is worth the peace of mind in my opinion.
Alot of guys tube without PFD's I don't because the little bit of discomfort is once again worth a whole lot of peace of mind.
If you are accidentally tossed from a moving boat, there is no telling what your condition may be. If the water is cold, you need to have your wits about you right  now. That PFD isn't going to save you from Hypothermia, but it will keep you above water. Hopefully long enough for you and your kid to get to safety.

Crappie Fun on Lake Lavon!!
Mike Wilson
https://www.facebook.com/wylie.crappieman?ref=tn_tnmn

Cell 214-406-5006
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Agreed on all points.  I just keep my little boat in the garage during the cold part of the year and bank it.  This year, the boy is going to want to chase sandies so I need to gear up for it.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Here's one that looks like it would not be as warm as the regular type, without breaking the bank. I was thinking about a couple for my boat.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/marine/floatation&start=16&selectedSKU=0144-01378-9000

I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

You might also check BPS. Sometimes they have them on sale. I have seen them on big display tables a few times. Just never know.

You gotta go fishin if you wanna catch some fish....
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Here's one that looks like it would not be as warm as the regular type, without breaking the bank. I was thinking about a couple for my boat.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/marine/floatation&start=16&selectedSKU=0144-01378-9000

BPS has their brand on sale for 19 right now.  they look just like these with the mesh top.....

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Oh, hey, thanks guys, and, um, not a guy.   icon_lol

Those look good.  They have a significant "cool" upgrade in more ways than one.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

T-wok 30#

We are sorry we just thought you signed your post as Brad lol.

Cooncrazy1

A little slime never hurt anyone.
Alot is even better
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

We are sorry we just thought you signed your post as Brad lol.

Wait, I am a guy, it's Kes that isn't a guy... icon_lol

(geez how do I get myself into these things?)

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I forked out the bucks for an auto inflatible last year and love it. If you are in a boat it is great. I can use it year round January to August and be comfortable with it over what ever clothes I am wearing.
WCM I don't think it would be worth a danged in a tube. If it gets wet it will go off, trust me on that!! icon_eek icon_biggrin

I Hunt, I Fish.........Thats really starting to irritate my wife!

www.trackerboats.com
www.beereadys.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker

Family, Firearms, and Trucks

Looks like it has been 2 years since your post.
Have you learned to swim better yet?
Just curious

David
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Looks like it has been 2 years since your post.
Have you learned to swim better yet?
Just curious

Considerably better, yes, but I am still rocking a PFD if I am out on the lake.

B

Top Bottom  
Group: Park Ranger
Lunker

Several companies produce Type V PFDs.  I have used both Mustang and Stearns models.  I prefer the bobbin auto-inflatable version over the hydrostatic model.  I find the bobbin model simpler to re-arm after a deployment.  These PFDs require a little additional care but I find them to be well worth the additional dollars and care.  Do not leave the units in a confined space (like a bulkhead).  They are only good if you actually wear them.  They feel like a pair of suspenders to me and allow free range of motion and offer significantly more buoyancy than a traditional Type III PFD.

Please exercise caution when you are out on any of the area lakes.  It is a very simple fact:  Lifejackets save lives - Wear it!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Several companies produce Type V PFDs.  I have used both Mustang and Stearns models.  I prefer the bobbin auto-inflatable version over the hydrostatic model.  I find the bobbin model simpler to re-arm after a deployment.  These PFDs require a little additional care but I find them to be well worth the additional dollars and care.  Do not leave the units in a confined space (like a bulkhead).  They are only good if you actually wear them.  They feel like a pair of suspenders to me and allow free range of motion and offer significantly more buoyancy than a traditional Type III PFD.

Please exercise caution when you are out on any of the area lakes.  It is a very simple fact:  Lifejackets save lives - Wear it!

James, nice to see ya still be lurkin around! When ya coming back to the Lavon area?  icon_cool icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: