Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2017, 03:00:44 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Catchin some shad in the cold wintertime  (Read 2568 times)

Lunker

Went out for half day yesterday cause it's been too long and I had a little time. Caught my first "deep water" bait ever. Used the extra heavy 6 foot I got last year and with a little patience (means making multiple throws!!) I managed to get enough for fish'n. Tried this for the last two years without success. Tried the three foot "trawler" net that the guy I bought the toon from-- with bricks, without bricks, fast, slow, through huge pods of bait fish and never got anything. Tried the extended line for deeper depths last year without success (standard 1 lb/ foot net). Yesterday managed quite a few once we spotted some bait fish on the bottom, just have to make sure the depth is less than 30 foot so the net goes all the way down! Tried in 30 plus but no luck, worked ok in 25-28 foot. Two or three casts netted 7-10 large hookers each. Only managed three fish, but now I have some confidence that the bait CAN be caught when it's cold out--that made my day!

-------------------------
have fun-be safe-see ya on the water!!
Top Bottom  
Lunker

wtg...thanks for sharing the experience.  I personally have no luck on catch them after it got cold

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

just keep at it you will learn to locate them in deep water. I caught a 10lb blue last year in my cast net, in about 25'. Tought I was hauling in the motherload....but not icon_rolleyes

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

congrats tom on gettin it all figured out now .... seems as though it would be ruff  icon_confused

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker

twas a little "ruff", good thing I've got pretty good balance as I almost thru myself along with the net a couple times!--woulda been cold I'm sure, very bad indeed! the toon really handles it well though which is a good thing as I don't get to go when I want to, have to go when I can!

have fun-be safe-see ya on the water!!
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: