Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 10:38:31 PM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
shad on the ramps  (Read 5220 times)

Lunker Extreme

Anyone catching shad on the ramps yet?

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Got a few cutters Fri night and Sat Morn.. Only 2 hookers.. Worked hard to get 'em...

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I had to work hard for mine too. They weren't on the ramps, but picked up a few by the buoys out from the ramps.
They seem to still be a little scattered. Got some in the shallow water of wind blown banks, but again had to work for them.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Ought to be real soon that they will be thick along the banks. Two to three weeks should make a big difference on gettin shad.

-------------------------
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Learning one step at a time

I wish the yellow bass on the ramps today were shad instead, then I'd have bait to share. Lot's of yellow bass but only a handfull of small hookers.

Neil
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

just another reminder that jerry threw out there  icon_rolleyes be careful on the ramps  icon_eek ya might just land on your arse or worse yet , hit your elbow and break a collar bone or smack the ole noggin on the ramp  icon_cry .

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Thanks, I stayed back behind the algae line with cleated rubber boots. Not too bad but a wrong twist could put you down.

I slipped at East Fork one day when I was out with friends and had to get into the algea to get in the boat. I had both hands firmly on the boat but I almost went down. I'll be glad when the courtesy ramps get set back in place.

Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:21:58 PM by NLester

Neil
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I'll be glad when the courtesy ramps get set back in place.

dont be holdin your breath waitin on this one ..  icon_rolleyes but maybe 1 of these years  http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/crossfingers.gif
shad on the ramps

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Hit a couple of the ramps in the West Arm of the lake last night as the sky was going dark. First cast, I caught two shad and either one of them were as large as the 10 I caught this morning combined. Wound up with 11 shad in the 6" range. Still more yellow bass than shad.  This was after a friend took me out to a private pond and we caught a dozen fair sized bass. It was a good afternoon. I did not go out this morning, maybe this afternoon.

Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:45:56 PM by NLester

Neil
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Still not very good at throwing the net. Some times the wind would blow the net closed on me. 3 ft spray from the waves hitting the shore at the bridge south of Highland.

6 shad between 5 pm and 6 pm. Three 6" and three 3".  I could have probably done better if I could have gone out about 7 pm. The wind seems to die down a little as the sun goes down.

A shad here and a shad there has got to be better than Fiesta Buffalo.

Neil
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I should trade in my 6 ft net for a 4 ft net. It would be easier to throw and I only get my net open halve the time.

Got out about 6:45 but I did not catch much until 7:30 - 8:00. I'd throw a little and rest a little. One toss at about 8 am brought in 3 cutters and a dozen hookers.  Most casts caught at least a hooker, The cutters were a little rarer and came 2 or 3 at a time. Wound up with a dozen cutters and a mess of hookers.

If I can consistently catch shad on the ramps, they must be coming in.

Neil
Top Bottom  
Minnow

I am new to using a cast net and want to start using one. I was going to pick one up, but there are so many choices of sizes and such. what is a good one that is fairly inexpensive. what size radius and diameter of mesh do i need to get. I have thrown a cast net before, but have not thrown one in several years and hadnot done it very much then. Also, is someone willing to help me with some spots to catch some shad and how to keep them so you can use them.

Do they need to be alive, or will dead ones be good?

Thanks

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Addict

this is my take on it.  if you have been throwing a net for awhile and cant get it to open the use mikeb's friend google he can show you another way to try. takes practice no matter which way you throw.  then call jjason and get a 7' mako net for this time of year. i like it better than the baitbuster and joyfish. it opens nicely every time and doesnt have all the weight. you dont need that weight right now. never down size your net i say. go with the 7'. even if it only opens halfway  you will cover just as much water as a 3-4' net open 100%. once you get it figured out then you will cover twice as much water with same amount of cast. you will catch more bait. use the wind and weights to your advantage and let them help open the net. casting into the wind is always harder getting a net to open.

as far as the shad get you a old cooler and just throw your shad in it as you catch them and pour some ice on them. pull the plug to allow the melted ice to drain or drain it often if you leave the plug in.  you can put the shad in ziplock bags too in the cooler. shad will be fresh for 1-2 days and be good for 3-5 days if they are bigger shad. the small ones tend to get mush after that second day and do not stay on the hook as well. 99.9% of the time the fresher the shad the better the bite.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Thanks - Brent

I am not the greatest thrower but when everything feels right the net opens up. Most of what I need is practice. I need to get use to the feel of the  weight as I rotate . When I can feel what the weight is doing through the entire rotation, it works fine. It is when I try to rush it, I have problems. I need rhythm.

Mostly I was trying to say, if I can catch shad on the ramps now, anyone should be able to catch shad if you are there at the right time. I caught shad the last two days, even when the net did not open fully.

A search on Youtube for (castnet australian brown) is a good video for learning how to throw. Watching Mike this morning at Highland, I made one change, instead of gathering the loose end of the net in my left hand like Brown does, I hold the loose end extended in my left hand with  the weights dipping down slightly over the extended free end of the net in a small arc from one hand to the other. It seems to help. Holding a piece of the net in my mouth like some people do is not an option in casting. I might have worked when I had my own teeth.

Neil
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I hit a ramp at East fork and managed about 25 hookers and 3 cutters. Only threw for 15-20 min, and most of that was repositioning the boat.....that wind was feirce yesterday evening. Should be able to do alot better this evening if they are still around.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: