Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2018, 06:49:35 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
fish balls\patties  (Read 4527 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

3 lb Freshwater catfish fillets\,
-cooked and flaked (I cook mine in the microwave for about 3 minutes each side - no seasoning needed at this time)
1/2 c Finely chopped onion
1/2 c Finely chopped green pepper (I use jalapenos de-seeded)
1/4 c Lemon juice (I sub zesty lemon seasoning)
3/4 c Fine, dry breadcrumbs ( I use saltine crackers crumbled)
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 c Milk
2 ts Spicy brown mustard
2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1. Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Shape into 1-inch balls. (At this point, balls may be frozen: when ready to use, partially thaw and fry as directed below.)
2. Fry croquettes in 2-inch deep hot oil (370) until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with cocktail or tartar sauce. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.

-------------------------
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

That sounds pretty dang good. Should help me put a dent in my full freezer.! Thanks for the Recipe.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

They are good, I usually make them up a day ahead of time & put in the fridge to help firm them up, whatever is left goes into small baggies, usually 9 patties per quart size so they stack nicely. These can be pulled out of the freezer & put right into hot grease. I have tried these with crappie as well as eaters & 10 - 15 lb cats & cannot tell any difference. I have served these next to fried crappie & they were always chosen as better.
...Don

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

They are good, I usually make them up a day ahead of time & put in the fridge to help firm them up, whatever is left goes into small baggies, usually 9 patties per quart size so they stack nicely. These can be pulled out of the freezer & put right into hot grease. I have tried these with crappie as well as eaters & 10 - 15 lb cats & cannot tell any difference. I have served these next to fried crappie & they were always chosen as better.
...Don

Alrighty Don, F Troop does expect to see some of these tasty morsels so that an appropriate empirical analysis can be made to justify or deny such claims as "they were always chosen as better" icon_exclaim icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I'll see what I can do!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Freakin awesome!!! I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and had enough to bag some and have had it a couple of times since. I used the jalapenos and it was perfect. But, they will remind you that you ate them in an hour or two  icon_redface  But they are worth it. I call them my schweddy balls  icon_razz

Crappie Fun on Lake Lavon!!
Mike Wilson
https://www.facebook.com/wylie.crappieman?ref=tn_tnmn

Cell 214-406-5006
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I said we were having fish balls for dinner! icon_evil

gettin them ready now gonna fry them up this evening. Gonna be tastey!!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I had a small batch of fish that needed to be cooked, so I guess-to-mated on the amounts.  I fried one up as a tester and put the rest in the freezer to firm up a little.  I ate half and gave the other half to my wife.  Very good.  I will be cooking the rest up over the weekend. 

Thanks Don!!!

MikeB

Lake Grapevine Small Mouth Buffalo Lake Record Holder - 4/10/2010

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

+1 tried these last week and they are good....thanks Don!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Your welcome, haven't tried this one yet but saw it on HuntFishCook & will be trying it soon, sure looked good on TV, will probably use fillets instead of scaled.

* Fried Whole Crappie with Parmesan Peanut Crust
Ingredients  7 – 10 crappie. cleaned and dressed with heads removed
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/ cup dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
peanut oil for frying
-----------------------------------------------
Spicy Tartar Sauce
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (or better yet… Wickle’s Hoagie Relish
1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1/4 teaspoon creole seasoning
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Combine all ingredients.
Instructions  In a shallow bowl mix bread crumbs, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, ground peanuts, salt, and pepper. Coat each fish with flour, then dip in buttermilk, then coat evenly with crumb mixture.
In a large skillet, heat 1 – 2 inches of oil over medium high heat. Add fish and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: