Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2019, 12:32:49 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Back to the city lights  (Read 3085 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Well, had to get myself back to the rat race after 8 great days in the deer woods.   boohoo

Went down early Friday morning (12/11) so we could get out and hunt that evening.  Watched several young bucks running does but not that bigger buck we were all looking for.  'Bout 30 minutes before dark this big ol' sow stepped out by the feeder 130 yards from the box.  Put one in her engine room and she ran about 75 yards before crashing in the brush.  She was so heavy the two of us couldn't even pick up up her front end to load her one end at a time on the back of the golf cart we use to run around our place.  Had to drag her behind the truck about a mile back to camp, and use the golf cart to pull her up in the tree.  I'd guess 320-360 pounds with some of the bigger cutters I've seen on a sow.

Two evenings later I set up a ground blind on a thick corner of our lease that doesn't get much traffic after seeing a big track that was criss crossing the road over there.  I rattled off and on trying to get a shooter buck to poke his head out of the thicket but never saw him.  I did take this big female bobcat close to dark and plan to do a full mount with her.

Tuesday evening one of my step brothers comes on the 2 way radio and says he's got a real nice wide 8 that we've never seen in front of him.  Keep in mind there are four of us on 300 acres and we're allowed one "trophy" buck, one cull, and 2 does each. Quick scores him out at 128-130 but he's got 4-5 bucks on his wall bigger than that decides he wants to hold out for something just a bit bigger.  I'd have ground checked him and told him so, but boy howdy does his patience pay off as he took a big ol' mature 140 class 10 pt Wednesday evening.

I decided to hunt the big 8 he had seen myself so I hunted the back corner where he had seen him the next evening.  No joke, no sooner had I sat down, pulled my gun out of the soft case and chambered a round I looked up (it's 3:30pm) and a monster 5.5-6.5 yr old 8 pt was right across the fence about 100 yards out on the neighbors side looking towards our feeder for does.  This buck is every bit of 200+ pounds on the hoof and probably scores 140+.  He was quartered away from me so I never got a head on look but he was outside his ears (prolly' 17 inches or so) but he was extremely heavy and had big ol brow tines, 10 inch g2's and maybe 8-9 inch  g'3s.  He trots up the fence to some thick brush and hops over to our side.  By now I've got my rifle up but the deer is 200 yards straight forward at maybe 2 o clock from me in a brush line.  He crosses right to left behind the feeder through the brush but has to cross a 10 yard wide opening or so where I may have a shot.  Deer hits the opening at a run with his nose to the ground trailing a doe and I really didn't want to take a shot on a running deer at 200 yards.  It's early and I was hoping I'd get another shot at him before dark.  None of us saw this guy again the rest of the week  icon_mad

Maybe an hour and a half later I had the big 10 that I posted pictures of step out with a doe, and as I'm watching them a big wide 8 steps out from a gully that runs down behind the feeder.  Coming up out of that bottom he looked over 20 inches wide and had a big thick body on him.  Long story short I put down the binocs and picked up the .270 and took him.  Great week had by all.  We ended up taking 3 hogs, a nice bobcat, 2 does, and two nice bucks....but all that was just icing on the cake.  The campfires, great food, music, cold beer and company make it all worthwhile to me.  Man I love deer season.

Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:11:31 PM by JohnnyD
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Oh yeah- my step brother Eddies big heavy 10 pt weighed 184 pounds on the hoof on our spring scale and 150 something field dressed.  Big ole' joker.  The real big 8 pt I saw the next evening had a bigger body than his buck   icon_eek

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

That's a heck of a week by anyone's standards...  Way to go Johnny!!! 

-------------------------
Jeremy
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Dang fine hunt JD!!!! WTG icon_exclaim icon_cool

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

very nice 8 days for ya jd ......  icon_biggrin orangeyes great lookin south texas deer ...  icon_mrgreen i hope ya didnt give that hog a chance to be upset at ya .... hellacious cutters on that one  icon_eek

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

nice bunch of dead critters JD

time to decorate the walls

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

i hope ya didnt give that hog a chance to be upset at ya .... hellacious cutters on that one  icon_eek

Nah- double lung/heart shot and she STILL ran about 75 yards.  When she crashed she took down a pretty good sized mesquite tree  icon_eek

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

i could just imagine ..... icon_eek

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

looks like yall had a good time. congrads... and Merry Christmas to all

Need more fishin time ??
                 GIVE ME A CALL
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: