Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2018, 08:27:10 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Does anyone build thier own Rods?  (Read 3768 times)
Lunker Extreme

I am about to start my first rod build, went to Barlow's tackle shop last night and picked up some gear, but their selection seemed a bit lacking. They didnt have many blanks to choose from. Does anyone know anywhere else i could buy these at? I have found a few websites online but i would rather be able to go pick them up somewhere. I would like to get a feel for the rod before i comit to building on it.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

This is most likely one of the better places for rod building components

http://www.mudhole.com/

-------------------------
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Thanks David, thats a good lookin site. I got the handle on last night. Going to try to figure out this reel seat tonight. once that and the grip are on, the fun starts! I just hope i can get my wraps right.  I tie my own flys so you'd think it wouldnt be that much more complicated..... icon_eek

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

I, once upon a time, considered building my own rods. Howsome ever the cost wuz way higher than whut I could procur a store bought rod of similar utility. I already got way too much invested in jig tying stuff so didn't think I needed another dark hole to throw money into! Cheapest I could build a rod that I liked wuz over $70. I can buy em for $35. So, that wuz the extent of my fleetin ideer to build my own rods. icon_eek icon_cool icon_biggrin

-------------------------
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Yeah, i am finding out it is going to be a wee bit more expensive than i first thought. But it keeps me busy and i am having fun so far. With any luck, i will be able to sell a few of them and at least break even on the cost.

I am intrested in this Jig Tyin business i keep hearing you guys talk about. I have a whole assortment of molds and lead, hooks and who knows what else is in there. My grandpa gave me all his gear from when he used to make his own fishing lures. I just havent really tinkered with it yet. Is it kinda like tyin a fly just diffrent patterns?

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: