Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 07:47:23 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
New Toys  (Read 7544 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

If you do not believe in miracles then read on . . . I was at work on Monday when my wife called me and said she had been down at the bank talking to the teller who had just gotten her concealed weapons license and my wife asked me to sign us up for our licenses.  As luck would have it Sgt. Ken McKeown, a detective with the Terrell Police Dept. gives classes on a regular basis and they are free for city employees.  So we are signed up to take the classes in November.  So I began checking around for a pistol to buy for the classes and for personal protection.  Then yesterday we stop at a gun shop just to see what they have and my wife says lets go ahead and get our guns so we can be practicing.  I had to clear my ears out and ask her "Say that again?"  So we ended up with a 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm and 9mm Beretta PX4 Subcompact. Wow, what a gal not only does she out fish me (her PB is 35lbs mine 25lbs) she will probably end up out shooting me.  I told her I was going to get her a t-shirt that says Pistol Packin' MaMa!!! icon_rolleyes icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

-------------------------
If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  

Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

Better start checking her email and following her. Get a vest! Smiley We'll miss you man.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

STILL THE BIGGEST BRAD!!! The rest are just wanna

Congrats on the gun. Next time,get a real one.   .45 is the way to go.

I was the biggest brad.  Until someone changed it and locked my account.  Can't have any fun.
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

9's are good carries though...  will still put the hurt on anyone, regardless.  a double tap with a 9,  beginning aim in center mass, will most likely put one in the chest, and one in the upper chest/throat/neck/face..
that will stop anyone.  and you can still pack it tight against your body without the weight moving around a whole bunch.
A lot of people say the 9 doesnt recoil,  but it does take practice. in my experience, a 9 does recoil enough to affect your technique if you dont practice.
I would rather have my wife carry something she could handle well, especially if she has to pull the trigger multiple times.. 
still, I would rather cary a .357 mag, .40 or .45 myself.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

Beauty! What a great lady you have and what a great guy to agree and take her for lessons!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I like 9's, but love my .45 Colt 1911.   icon_cool

Nice luck for you arborist!  icon_biggrin

I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

What sweet shooting guns.!!!  Took them over to my son-in-law's place and tried them out.  I was a little disappointed in the performance of the hollow points in that they didn't mushroom much more than the ball ammo going through a 2x6.  My wife didn't think they kicked much at all.  She even popped the target well using the double-action.  The grandsons liked to shoot them too.  Even my daughter-in-law got in the act.  Looking forward to getting my CHL.

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Those are some nice looking new toys you got there, I havent seen any berettas with the polymer lowers like those before, they look good.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Nice guns.  I just got a pocket .380 (ruger lcp)..fits right in my pocket.  I'm toying with the idea of getting a 9mm as well.   That is the primary round I shoot at the range, and reload so it makes sense to have one for carry... at least that is what I'm telling my wife.

During our CHL class (same guy you are going to), he made a point to go back to my wife and told her how well she shot.  We go to the range quite a bit and she gets quite a few looks from downrange from people seeing if that is a girl shooting..... especially when she starts double tappin'.... I don't care who you are, that's hot  icon_eek

Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:46:05 AM by shawn
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I was pleasantly surprised about how well my wife took to shooting and even insisted on learning how to field strip the gun and clean it herself.  Same way with fishing too - she'll stare me down if I try to do anything with her fishing gear.  icon_rolleyes  We're planning to burn a lot of ammo before we get ready to take the class.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

So my fiance turns over to me the other night and say,  babe, I want to get a pistol, but I dont want to get it unless I take classes for it and practice. Id like to have it for when your not home. But I wont feel secure until I learn to handle it..
I went:  "HUHHHH???"  "Okay.. Lets figure this out then, and get you into CHL classes..."
So im looking for something small enough to fit into her hands,  maybe something like a .380, or 9.. without being too everly powerful for her to handle, shoot shes only 5'2" 115lbs..
Shes too afraid to handle my AK, because of the weight, even though in certain parts of the world, 8 year olds do it..
I figure I can agree with her on this..although I admit im a little uncomfortable right off the bat, just cause I dont like loaded guns around the house, and we are planning on having babies around..
But I figure I can get a good biometric safe to keep somewhere in the house for a "run and hide spot"
Her dad used to take her hunting a lot, so she knows how to handle light stuff like a .410 and .223's.. 

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Most gun range have gun rental so you can try different handgun to see which ones you like.
Try the Bersa .380, that's what my wife shoot when we go to the range.  I carry Glock 9mm and Keltec .380.  The Keltec is very small that you can put it in your pant or shirt pocket.

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I think I hear clickers in my sleep!!

Most gun range have gun rental so you can try different handgun to see which ones you like.
Try the Bersa .380, that's what my wife shoot when we go to the range.  I carry Glock 9mm and Keltec .380.  The Keltec is very small that you can put it in your pant or shirt pocket.

When I get started in on you again  angel , remind me you carry and I suspect I will go away icon_razz icon_eek icon_lol

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

if it is truly for when she is home, I'd get her something bigger than a keltec.  I have the ruger LCP which is basically a copy of the keltec.. its pretty hard to handle compared to by other pistols. 

I agree with the rental comment.. bullet trap has a lot to rent, but it is pretty expensive since they make you use their ammo.  I rented a gun there and it was close to $50 when it was all said and done.

Bersa .380 is a good suggestion and it is very affordable.  .380 ammo is hard to find right now though.  I'd try to see if she can find a 9mm that she likes if she wants to practice much.  9mm is a lot easier to find.

Bullet trap has lady's night on Wed, and she can shoot for $5 or on Friday is family night..up to 4 family members can shoot in one lane for the cost of 1.  They have a shooters membership you can get for $60 and it drops your range fees to $7.  They don't advertise that membership level so you'll have to tell them you want it.

Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:48:26 PM by shawn
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Also remember the smallest caliber that you can use to take the CHL is .32 so a small .25 cal purse gun won't qualify and it will only tick some big guy off if she pops him with it so it won't provide real stopping power in an emergency.  Most of the fear about shooting a gun comes from not shooting one.  It is like driving on the freeway for the first time and how scared you were when a semi came cruising by a couple of feet away and now you zoom in and out of traffic like it was nothing.  Same principle.  Getting to know a gun by shooting it a lot and the weight and size and kick for the most part don't seem like such a big deal.  I'd teach her how to shoot a .22 first then work your way up.  My wife really likes to shoot her little 9 mm and the kick doesn't bother her at all.

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: