Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 19, 2018, 10:01:30 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
When its hot like this, Drink Plenty of Water!  (Read 5067 times)
Lunker Extreme

Lots of people already know this, and its pretty much common sense here in Texas, especially during the summer..
But,  Even if your out on the water, or in it,  you need to be drinking at least a 1/4 quart every hour, and at least a 1/2 quart per hour if your "working".  bump it up to 1 qt per hr, if your doing heavy activity.
A beer or two in this heat can surely dehydrate you in a few hours,  so be mindful.

things to watch out for, and to help look after your buddies or other people..
- pale faces, or light colored lips,  purple lips in extreme cases.
- not sweating anymore,
- Press the finger nail down on a thumb or forefinger, and the color should return quickly, if if comes back slowly, then your getting dehydrated, better drink up.
- Pinch the skin on the back of the hand, and if it stays pinched, then you are severly dehydrated, and need to get out of the heat as soon as possible, and drink fluids slowly.
- Loss of mental capacity, or decision making skills diminishing.

Now, Ive always been told or trained, that if you find yourself or someone else who is in heat stress, you shouldnt go chugging a ton of water. You need to find a way out of the heat, and slowly sip a cup of water every 5 minutes or so.   The best way is prevention,  and once you have been heat stressed,  it is easier to get stressed in the future. so be mindful of this, and go prepared.

Now, Ive also been told that gatorades and powerade drinks have so many salts in them that you need to drink twice as much water to one drink, otherwise you risk messin up your kidneys,  If any doctors, emts, or paramedics are out there that can confirm this,  please mention so.
 (If I'm out here warning about heat stress, I want to make sure that Im at least providing good information,  feel free to add or respond, or correct if need be..)

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Im no EMT or doctor, but I do know a little on hydration.  The Gatorade and other wont shut down your kidneys and as odd as this will sound... you NEED the salt.  If you drink too much water without salt or sodium in it you risk a few issues.  I took this from about.com ". Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia."  I have heard of a few people dieing from it recently.  By all means drink water and a lot of it, do try and take in sodium while doing so.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I remember in high school always having to take salt tablets when after any type sporting practice, sweat will deplete your sodium & needs to be returned.
...Don

-------------------------
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

I remember in high school always having to take salt tablets when after any type sporting practice, sweat will deplete your sodium & needs to be returned.
...Don

Yea Don, I was gonna say the same thing about those salt tablets.  And we RARELY got water breaks back then, coaches thought it made you 'tougher' I guess.  Man, I can STILL remember dieing for water, in both football and basketball.....

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

especially those 2 a days ......  orangeyes

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I remember going to sleep standing up after a ring of 2-a-days..   Im here to tell you,  we went through those 2-a-days during high-school,  when I got to basic training, I thought it was a joke fer the first two weeks,  then it got real heavy after that, and I wished I was doing 2-a-days again..

well,  I raise the topic because  Ive had heat stress,  and my fiance passed out on me at a baseball game once with no warning..  Ive seen plenty of people go right out on ya at the nascar races,  and if your out on the water, its gonna be a while before you can get anyone to safety and get them cooled off.. by that time they might get real sick..   so its best to take care of yerself, and ne'er let it get that far..  and watch out for other people who might not realize they are getting stressed as well..

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I manage an air conditioning company, We have had 3 cases of heat exhaustion in the past 5 days.  Tough job installing in 140 degree attics. I have them carb load at night, like they are getting ready for a marathon then hydrate all day. 

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I just read that Chocolate Milk,  of all things,  is better than gatorade at re-hydrating your body.   It has potassium and electrolytes, in natural form,  and has enough sugar to help repair damage, or keep it from happening.. glucose..

YUCK!!,   Not for me on a hot day,  I barely drink milk as it is..

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

thats good to know ........ not my favorite on a scorchin day  icon_rolleyes but in case of an emergency  icon_mrgreen ya just gotta do whatcha gotta do icon_biggrin

Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Pedialyte....believe it or not, recommended. Even for adults, it will replace what you've lost fast. But really, Gatorade or the other brands will work fine. If you need more than that, time to go to the ER. I asked a Doc friend of mine.

I love milk, but milk when you're hot and don't care for it anyway will likely make you vomit.  icon_eek

I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I think I hear clickers in my sleep!!

thats good to know ........ not my favorite on a scorchin day  icon_rolleyes but in case of an emergency  icon_mrgreen ya just gotta do whatcha gotta do icon_biggrin

There's water in them c.a.b.s 1, I think you are gettin' plenty icon_lol

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

There's water in them c.a.b.s 1, I think you are gettin' plenty icon_lol

straight from the rockies  icon_mrgreen

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

straight from the rockies  icon_mrgreen

As long as the mountains are Blue!,   Like Freeze yer toes off Blue!  icon_biggrin

And,  If that aint workin'  you can do it "jetman150 style"   water and ice straight out of the cooler, if its big enough, go dunk yer wahoo in it!!  icon_razz

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: