Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2018, 07:08:47 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Safe Distance??  (Read 3806 times)
Lunker

Well, was at anchor with the family yesterday for Father's Day enjoying the nice weather and this yahoo comes hauling thru between my boat and another boat, also at anchor.. pulling a tuber nonetheless!! I'd say he passed within 20 feet of the two boats and his wake came washing over the stern of my boat!!  icon_evil

What is the safe distance supposed to be for other boats passing other boats? I've seen that listed for PWCs but haven't found it for boats. I have a pic of his TX numbers.. is there somewhere I can send the "evidence" so this guy gets some official educational information on boating safety/laws??

Jeff

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

thats way too close ....... maybe bigcat dave or riverrat can help ya out on a # .....

the distance wouldnt be a problem if he was courteous and had common sense cause that would put him way away from ya , but i think its 50 feet

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:51:18 AM by fishin1 »

-------------------------
Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

I believe that it specifically states in here..  but it may be subjective depending on the situation.  Seems like these are open to interpretation, unless confronted with persuasive evidence,   which you have with the pics..

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_l2000_0001.pdf

OPERATION OF YOUR BOAT
It is UNLAWFUL for any person to:
Operate at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent or greater than will permit him to bring such boat to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.
Operate so as to cause a hazardous wake or wash.
Operate in a circular course around fishermen or swimmers.
Moor or attach to any buoy, beacon, light marker, stake, flag or other aid to safe operation, or to move, remove, displace, tamper with, damage or destroy the same.
5.Anchor in the traveled portion of a river or channel so as to prevent, impede, or interfere with safe passage of any other boat through the same area.
6.Operate within an area designated as bathing, fishing, swimming, or otherwise
    restricted.
7.Operate within a designated "no wake" area except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake.
8.Engage in water skiing, surfboarding or other similar activity between the hours of 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise; provided that this shall not apply to vessels used in recognized water ski tournaments, competitions, exhibitions or trials, provided that the water area is adequately lighted.
Operate while intoxicated (loss of mental or physical faculties, or blood alcohol content of .08 or higher). 1st conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $2,000, confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both; 2nd conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, confinement not to exceed one year or both; 3rd conviction punishable by a fine not to exceed $10,000, imprisonment for not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.
**Failure to submit a specimen to determine blood alcohol content may result in suspension of your driver’s license.
10. Operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane or similar device, in a willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. (Violation of this provision shall be punishable, upon conviction, by a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2,000 or by confinement in jail not to exceed 180 days or both.)

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Well the TX number is visible on the boat and the pic be some good evidence. Turn em in to a game warden and let en give em a ticket.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

If you go back and read the post I put up a few days, this was the same boat that cut me off between Collin and East Fork. 

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing."  Babylonian Proverb
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

That guy's and idiot..  People like that have no busniess owning a boat.  Something like that would make me wanna chase him down and have a brief conversation with him on boat etiquite...  Hope he's not a forum member, if so He's a moron...

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

well,   im not really a vengeful guy,  and not out to destroy anyone or anything, 
but ive got an idea to teach the guy a lesson..  if it could be pulled off..   not saying you should try this at home kids, and I dont condone it cause I wouldnt want it done to me,  but i dont run around too close to others with my boat either, ( mainly cause most people could catch me.. icon_razz)

:evil:get an old nylone rope, and tie 6-10 foot long pieces of 8lbs fishing line on the end,   then tie the fishing line to the boat,  and the other end to another boat, or fixed object,  with the nylon rope just under the water..  if he goes across it, it will get wrapped up in his prop, and shut his lower unit down for a little while, icon_eek  and the fishing line would break,  so whatever it was fixed to wont get damaged..

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Wow, that's ingenious.... Nice idea!  No one gets hurt and a lesson is learned.  And if someone is going the speed they are supposed tom you can stop and warn them before they go over it.  icon_mrgreen

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: