Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2018, 12:47:28 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Scrolling Avatars  (Read 4378 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

I think I hear clickers in my sleep!!

For those of us that have multiple fish pics that we would like to show as avatars, is it possible to have 3-4 pics that can scroll while the avatars are displayed?

Fishin1 says you can't do it icon_cool (some high-falutin' techy reason) so I am putting you to the challenge icon_biggrin

Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:22:07 AM by BigBuckeye
Top Bottom  

Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

I personally haven't tried an animated gif for an avatar and I don't see a setting that would prevent it but be aware that animated gifs are larger that a static image so it will make everyone's pages load slower for forums you post in.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

i knew you would still try it so i better put the high fullutin reason out there . kinda figured it would take to much hand shakin between computers / servers

but scott , once a pic is stored on the llff server does it haveta go back to the orginal server to grab  another pic  icon_question ..... thats kinda where i was goin with it  icon_confused

-------------------------
Check out the LAST Floor You'll EVER have to put in Your Boat . Slip Resistent , LIFETIME Warranty , and just wash it out with a water hose ..

www.safe-floor.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Once your browser sees the image it should cache on your computer depending on your browser settings. But your computer still needs to load up the image into your browser and display it to you. That takes time and memory and will slow your experience down.

Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

It could be done with a ton of java scripting and changes to the core of the forums software. I would not look for this to ever be implemented though due to performance reasons.

The only way i could think if doing this without changing the LLF codebase would be as scott mentioned create an animated gif that does a slide show of pics. This would have to be hosted from an image service and then linked in your profile instead of uploaded to our server.

-------------------------
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I think I hear clickers in my sleep!!

Sounds harder than it will be worth.  Thanks for thinking it through.  Perhaps someone can tell me how AllenTXBassr and MikeB loaded other pics in their signature, I would be satisfied with that.  I am definitely not interested in slowing performance down.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

As you can see from my avatar right now it is possible....Ill change it back to my normal one once you see it. I deliberately chose a very small animation.

As you can see this is 65k as opposed to the 30k of my normal avatar. So this basic one has over twice the footprint, although this one is still small.

Top Bottom