Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 04:14:37 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Looking at Rowlett Creek Sandie run on Texas Fishing Forum  (Read 10061 times)

Lunker Extreme

Learning one step at a time

Kind of suprise that I have not seen any thing about the Rowlott Creek Sandie Run here since it is so close. I am still trying to find out what this is about.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2995863/Re_Annual_Sand_Bass_Run_Rowlet

-------------------------
Neil
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Sorry - found it under other lakes forum.

Neil
Top Bottom  
Lunker

Head south on rowlett road from Garland. Right after centerville road there is a bridge crossing over Rowlett creek. On the south side there is plenty of room for parking. People catch the heck out of the sandies there this time of year. You can't miss it. There are usually plenty of cars parked there. As the Texas fishing forum link said, just jump the curb and park. Be careful if it is wet though.

By the way, please start slowing down way before you get off the bridge so people will know you plan on turning off. There are a lot of wrecks there every year from people who get to the other side of the bridge and then suddenly hit the breaks to pull off the road.

I don't fish there ( sandies taste bad to me) but I would hate to see them stop people from fishing there because of the road hazard it sometimes creates.

if you go, you should need to bring much luck with you!
 icon_cool

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Thanks, I went out this morning to check it out and get my line wet.  I plan on going back often until I get some success.

Friday did not seem to be a good day for Sandies, except off of Firewheel Parkway. Several people said it was better before the weather front Wednesday night.

A popular lures seems to be a 1/6 oz, white Roostertail. I had a couple of these lures and except for getting one caught in a treee on the first cast, it felt natural for the size of the zone I had to fish. A few of the fishermen frown on using anything larger that 1/16 oz but I could only get a 1/16 oz spinner about 3/4 of the way accross the creek.Most of the fishermen are using ultra light or light medium rods. Some fishermen were using worms with sinkers on the bottom of the line, 16" below the hook. I am not certain that they were fishing for bass because most of what they were catching were small perch and they did not speek enough english to get an answer from them. I have heard that you can use a crappie lure about 2' under a bobber. I did not see any minnows being used.  Since I do not know how you normally fish for sandies, I am not certain of anything but the Roostertails.

Where Firewheel Parkway/Rowlett RD crosses over Rowlett Creek, it is pretty crowded. If you don't want to jump the curb there, you can take the next street as you head east by  turning  right onto Castle. A short distance headed south on Castle, there is a dirt path that looks like the illegal vehicle trailsinto the park. except there is a break in the curb. This trail leads to the Garland Rowlett Creek Access Preserve (Garland has signs to that effect at the end of the rough dirt trail).  You may not wat to go that far along the dirt trail, especially in a car. The creek in the Preserve does not seem very inviting, but I figure since the path is obviously intended to be used to get to the Preserve, then you should be able to legally park in the grass at the start of the path without going all the way to Preserve and  walk over to the bridge on FireWheel Parkway to the creek.

An alternative is a park in Rowlett where 66 crosses over the creek. You can get there by continuing south on Castle, until you get to 66 and turn right, The park offers  good parking. In the park, if you walk along the reeds until you see a path through the reeds. if you follow the path, there is a place to fish that gets you down to the water. Lots of paths and lots of fishing spots. If one is occupied just keep moving up the creek until you find your own.  The fishing in this end of the park is not as good as the Firewheel Parkway end but it is quiet, peaceful and has spots with fairly easy, hasslefree access. Some of the spots are easier to get to than other, so keep looking. A few of the fishing spots might allow access with kids but for the most part  are fairly steep with limited standing or sitting room and with enough trees that a rolling side cast is necessary.

You can also go north off Firewheel Parkway on Pleasant Vally. Just after you pass the gun range, there is a bridge and access to the creek. Just to the sought of the bridge is suppose to good fishing. Some bloggers say Garland Police sometimes ticket people parking at the bridge but futher  east down the road there is a wide spot in the road in Sache and it seems to be alright to park there.

March is suppose to be the peak of the Sandie run.  I have only been fishing a few months and I'd like to catch some. Maybe keep a few. I have yet to catch a fish big enough to be a keeper, except in a community fishing pond. My wife is giving me a hard time about not bringing home something to eat. I don't catch something of a reaonable size soon, I am going have to stop at Fiesta for some fillets on the way home and lie.

Neil
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Flathead R&R Lake Record Holder

Thanks for the info. NLester and welcome aboard.  Every year this time I consider tearing up some sandies off the Rowlett bank.  It will get better in March and just a bit into April.  Wait for some rain to bring the creek up.  I've caught them on just about every little jig and color in my box depending on the water conditions.  Search old posts this time of season over the years and you will pick up loads of needed info.

Records are made to be broken...
Top Bottom  
Lunker

I didn't realize there were so many creek bank fishing options right here in my back yard. I fish from my boat so I have not researched it that much. Good to know!
As you saw from the crowd, they have to be catching fish at some point or they wouldn't there. My guess is that if you keep trying, later this spring you will be tired of cleaning fish. When the sandies start, the bounty is usually plentiful. I am surpised on the no minnows being used.

As far as the Fiesta idea goes, one fishing story is just as good as the next I guess. icon_mrgreen
 icon_cool

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Back in the day, we used to rig up the pole with two jigs and we would be pulling them in two at a time,and your right the banks would be lined up as far as you could see. doing the same thing. there was always fish coming out of the water.

Need more fishin time ??
                 GIVE ME A CALL
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

More research, the dirt trail on Castle Drive on the east side of the creek is on private property. Instead there is a parking lot on the West side of the creek at Castle Dr & Centerville road. It is intended for access to the mountain bike trails but it open to any one to access the Rowlett Creek Preserve and should give good access to the creek on the west side and I hear that you can walk up to Firewheel Parkway along the creek. This parking lot and the parking log at Springfield Park are authorized parking lots.

Neil
Top Bottom  
Minnow

I fished a few hours this morning on Pleasant Valley by the gun range. water was clear and running, bu not many sandies. did not see any caught there and I managed one small crappie. I am headed over to the bridge where you jump the curb on rowlett road by centerville and see if they are over there.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

Caught 2 small ones early this morning on minnows.  Everyone else seemed to be having the same result, except one fisherman caught 2 keepers. I believe he was fishing an in-line spinner. Several were going home and coming back this afternoon.

Neil
Top Bottom  
Minnow

I haven't been in Rowlett Creek yet, but I have been up the river between Hubbard and Lavon a few days in the last week. Very few sandies have moved in so far. Most are still out in the main lake in 30 foot. this week of warm weather will probably send the first significant wave of spawners up the creeks. Its justy about that time. Good luck guys!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

I appreciate all the good info guys, thank you! Good luck and good fishing!   icon_biggrin

I love to fish, it's just that simple.

Kes   

Team Double K                  

http://www.texastrophycats.com/
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

went over rowlett creek by the gun range this morning about 7:30, 7 cars already there

Need more fishin time ??
                 GIVE ME A CALL
Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

I started this topic without realizing that there was already an other discussion under the "Other Lakes Forum". Why don't we move this to the "Other Lakes" forum.

Neil
Top Bottom  

Group: Fishing Guide
LLF Fishing Legend

Or hire me!

Carey Thorn

Lake Lavon Crappie Guide - Plus Other Lakes

Bass Pro Shop - Pro Staff Member

http://TexasOklahomaFishingGuide.com/

469-528-0210