Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2018, 06:14:34 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Modified Pot  (Read 4716 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Just a little something I thought I would share for all those that pour your own lead.  I have the Lee 10lb pot(bottom pouring).  When I pour anything of size, say 2 or 3oz sinkers, they are so choppy its sad.  After looking a few things up and talking to a few people I was sure the problem was the flow rate(how fast it pours lead).  Well.  I finally bit the bullet and drilled out the pouring hole to whats probably at least double its original size.  I tried it out and...... I can now pour 3oz sinkers all perfect and shiny every time.  Not saying this will work for everyone but man does it work good for me now.  It pours FAST!  4x the speed it did.  And they are all smooth now!  Just thought I would share.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

I have the 20#'er and may try that. Sometimes that trickle is no bueno. Thanks for the tip.

-------------------------
Jerry Hamon
Vice President Texas Council IFFF
President Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I use a hot plate heat up my mold before I start pouring the 4oz and 6oz.

Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

like bruce says, always heat the mold well before starting and you will be off to a better start.

i figured out way back that bottom pour pots are just not good enough for larger weights.  finally ditched the bottom pour and just bought a ladle and a regular pot (you will need the 20 pound pot for the ladle.  It makes about the best quality you can get with a good mold.  takes a little more practice though.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

That was actually going to be my next option.  I was planning to move to that point after I noticed how well it was working when pouring my bars of lead.  This was more of my last ditch effort to make the pot usable for anything other than small stuff.  I didn't think it would work that well but thought it was worth a try.  Worst case I would block the spout and use it as a melting pot or such.  I was REALLY surprised at the difference it made.  I would have expected that when i modified it that it would just make a few a little cleaner but by am I amazed.  If I make anything under a 1oz now i have the lift the lever and slam it down quick.  She now pours an average of over 1oz per second.  the 3 oz mold only takes about 2 sec or so to fill totally.  I tried to preheat the mold on a hotplate before and no matter how may sinkers I poured, how hot it was, they still came out looking.... nutty... They had layers of sorts, they just looked a little wrong.  If your pot is working great for you then no need to change anything.  If your like me and getting tired of it not pour the way you want and you have a good drill bit, its worth a shot before giving up on the pot.  I know before I tried everything including using a blow torch on the mold to make sure she was heated up enough.  My problem was that the pot was just pouring so slow that it cooled too much before I could get to it.  it poured maybe .5 oz a second at its best.  Less sometimes.  It wasn't blocked either, its spout hole is just too small for what I wanted to do.  I will have to post a pic.  I tried varying lead temp mold temp, etc, but this is what finally worked for me.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

i went through all that a couple years back.  wish you had tried it before me and busted the learning curve.  I still use the bottome pour pot purely as a melter.  I use 2 pots to keep enough lead to make mass quantities (or at least I used to).  Gonna be for sale soon........  I just can't get time anymore.....

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Your local supplier of no-roll weights!

i went through all that a couple years back.  wish you had tried it before me and busted the learning curve.  I still use the bottome pour pot purely as a melter.  I use 2 pots to keep enough lead to make mass quantities (or at least I used to).  Gonna be for sale soon........  I just can't get time anymore.....
What may you be selling it for $? and what size weight mold do you have? I may take this off your hands......

Extreme Catfish Angler (I live for the screaming clicker)
Chase "Gibby" Gibson

www.northtexastrophycats.com
www.proanglertackle.com
www.beereadys.com
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I got third after them!  ok, while I probably dont need them at much, its the mold I am after.  Unless its the egg mold as I have it. Smiley

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

most guys have seen the weights.  these molds are custom.  I have 3.  1,2 and 3 ounce versions.  The 1 oz mold makes 10 weights, the 2 oz mold makes 8 weights, and the 3 oz mold makes 6 weights.  Then i have 2 20 pound pots and a 2 lb ladle.  muffin pan and coleman stove for the operation.

also still have about 80 boxes from uline for storage. 

I haven't been able to find time to make weights and i am about to run out myself.  if we can find someone that wants to continue the weight business then that would be great.  I would only sell to someone on here that has plans on keeping these guys supplied. 

also, my wife decided that the garage would be half playroom and my desire to melt lead in there has gone way down.  Therefore, I am being forced out of business.....

I will make a more official post, but it would be nice if it were all unloaded to the same person or 2 that plan on keeping things going.  obvisouly i can't control what other people do, so i will choose carefully. if you are truly interrested in this, then PM me. 

i know davidp makes weights, but i don't know if he wnated a larger operation.  doug also showed interest once.... 

I have about 650 dollars in equipment.  can't get all of it back, but i would be looking for half of it and some kind of deal that gets me some weights  icon_lol  if you are still interrested, then let me know....

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: