Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 21, 2018, 11:17:49 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Best picture yet of the BIGGUN!  (Read 11209 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Check this picture out from the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center webpage.  Also, read their article at: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/hatchery/tffc/newsrel/bigbluecat.htm

[attachment deleted by admin on post older than 730 days ]

-------------------------
If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

man can you imagine how much those guys stunk after holding that kitty like that.....my wife wouldn't let me in the house for a week!  I think I'd put up for it though for a fish like that! Cheesy

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

So, if you caught one of these at Lavon (20 years from now), how would you get it to "The Cove" and back to the lake without injuring it?  Let's assume you don't have a live well big enough for it.

You think THAT'S hard, try naming two cities in New Hampshire!
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

It really is amazing how much time they can spend out of the water though. I would be interested in knowing how long this one was out. For the ACATS some of the people use a 40 gallon plastic drum with holes drilled in it and a boat bumper tied to it so it floats.

Scott

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I would tie it off to the courtesy dock and call 911 on my cell phone! icon_wink

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

icon_lol  icon_lol  icon_lol  icon_lol  icon_lol

Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

do you think they are trained in mouth to fish resuscitation??  icon_lol

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

There are still a bunch of questions I have about this catfish.  I'd like to read the whole story somewhere.

How did Mullinex land the catfish?  Lip it and sit on it?
How did he get it to the marina?  You don't just throw a 100 lbs fish in your live well and drive over.
How did they weigh the fish?  (and why does anyone have scales over 100 lbs?)  If you lip it and weigh it, I'd be afraid I'd rip the lips off.
What did they store the fish in until the folks at athens came to pick him up?
How did they get it to Athens?
Athens mentioned the fish was recuperating.  How do they know?  I mean who has any experience at all with recuperating a 100 lbs catfish!

Inquiring minds want to know!

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

The story is in the Dallas Morning News Sports section. The one above the fishing reports.

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Thanks Scott!
http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/columnists/rsasser/stories/012204dnsposasser.53281.html

Still doesn't answer all of my questions.  But it does tell us how he landed it.  Guess I'll have to wait for the book. icon_rolleyes

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

It looked like they had it at a bait shop in a minnow tank at Texoma until the Athens people arrived with a tanker truck to transport it.  It was probably carried from the lake to the baitshop in the back of a pickup.  I'm assuming they had some certified commercial scale to weigh it with like at a UPS store.  We may half to print out a set of instructions on what to do in case of a record and have it laminated to carry in your wallet or have refrigerator magnets made sort of like emergency numbers to call if someone swallows rat poison.  I would hate to see this record disqualified on some stupid technicality.  Its one thing to cheat on a record (those guys should be hung until they are dead and then take them out and shoot them) but having a bonafide record lost because of not dotting the I's because resources aren't available or are unknown to the applicant is an automatic sin.  For example, if they don't send in a piece of the fishing line with the terminal gear still attached then it may not qualify as an IGFA record.  Or if the scale didn't have a recent certification sticker on it then it has to be recertified within a certain time period or the record doesn't count.  That's the kind of BS I'm talking about.

Top Bottom  
Group: Fishing Guide
Lunker Extreme

These guys are the "Long Polers" you hear Danny King talk about. They fish off the bank at Hagerman Wildlife refuge all the time.  He was alone when he caught the fish I think?

Jerry

www.NorthTexasGuideService.com
04' Crappie USA Region 4 Champion
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Yes, he was alone.  He called his buddy on his cell phone and kept the fish in the shallows for an hour before his buddy arrived.  They carted it to his pickup, then drove to the tackle shop.  It was out of the water for 20 minutes.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Just a side note, I use to live right there (Tanglewood) for a couple of years and if you are ever on Texoma and need shad, that is a good place to start.  When you pull up in the cove by boat you'll see the wildlife park sign on the south side of the cove.  It has a deep channel all the way back and has a nice size creek in the back.  It's the last cove on the right (north) if you launch at the Lighthouse.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

That was an incredible fish  icon_eek

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: