Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 07:21:11 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Sinker mold  (Read 6365 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Ok, So I want to finally buy a sinker mold.  I am too lazy to make them on any regular schedule so I dont bother borrowing one cause I never know when I am going to be in the mood to make them or have time.  So....  I know a ton of people have and use the no roll sinkers.  Are they really that much better than egg type?  I would think the egg would cast better, sink better, and such.  Plus the egg mold have a greater weight range to be able to make so it can be used with other types of fish.  Will the egg mold work fine or is there something so great about the no roll that I need it?

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

If you only want one mold then I would recommend an egg style.  It is simple to convert any egg sinker to a no-roll sinker by flattening it.  I use a large vice to accomplish this after the egg sinkers are poured and ready to use.  Simply put a 6d nail in the hole, squeese the sinker in the vice (or flatten it with a hammer) and extract the nail using a vice-grip pliers.  Works great.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "RickH"
I would think the egg would cast better, sink better, and such.  

Rick, I am just joking with ya here, but why would an egg cast better and sink better?  Cheesy  

A lot of the catfishermen use the no rolls because of the wind.  They stay put better than the eggs.  That is all i do, so that is why I started making no rolls.  You can just flatten the eggs like Bill said.  Sounds like you want the do-it molds that make multiple sizes.  

http://www.do-itmolds.com/    

bass pro sells these and so does barlow's....

-------------------------
Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

i am also going to reccommend that you buy a lead melting pot and not do this on a propane burner.  THe pots are designed to not get too hot and will shut off keeping from vaporizing the lead.  The 10 pound pot used to be around 60 bucks.  The mold will cost you 40.  Depending in how GOOD you want the weights to be you will have to decide if you want a bottom pour melting pot or buy a ladle.  The ladle is going to make better large weights, but the bottom pour pot is probably good for smaller.  I make mostly 2 oz and the ladle is the only way to go if you want them to be high quality.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

The only difference I can tell from the egg versus no roll argument is the sinking of the weight.

When fishing deeper water such as driftin I have experienced a fluttering sink with the no rolls that sometimes causes the leader, hook & bait to become tangled on the descent. The egg weigh does not do this as it sinks without the fluttering.

For fishing shallow, the no roll is king because it keep the weight in one location and does no roll around when a bite occurs. Of course this is when using clickers on the reels.

If you are not using clickers then I would just use the egg sinkers.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

David,  fishing deep icon_question   no clicker icon_question   why bother  icon_lol

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I was thinking aerodynamics.  In air and water the aerodynamics(or hydrodynamics) would be the same I would suspect.  Kinda like if you dropped a wadded up piece of paper or a flat piece of paper.  I do have a 10lb bottom pouring pot, just never got the molds.
Quote from: "polebender"
I would think the egg would cast better, sink better, and such.  

Rick, I am just joking with ya here, but why would an egg cast better and sink better?  Cheesy  

A lot of the catfishermen use the no rolls because of the wind.  They stay put better than the eggs.  That is all i do, so that is why I started making no rolls.  You can just flatten the eggs like Bill said.  Sounds like you want the do-it molds that make multiple sizes.  

http://www.do-itmolds.com/    

bass pro sells these and so does barlow's....

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

Wow----what analyzing for just a sinker.  icon_lol

When you guys are done----let me see the pics.... icon_lol

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Once I started making my own, people wanted to buy them and I could not keep up with demand.  So I bought a custom 2 oz mold where I could pour 8 at a time.  Finally worked and figured out how to make a good poured weight (only way better is injection which I am guessing nobody is setup for at home). Cheesy

it is fun for a while and then it gets old.....  i now have custom molds for 1, 2 and 3 oz no rolls.  I won't pour eggs cause you can buy them at any store.  I put a lot of time into figuring out how to make a good weight rather than just making one.  If it can be done, I have probably tried it.  

I have a bottom pour 20 pound pot, but it doesn't work well for larger weights.  I have tried taking a match and putting ash on the interior cavity of the mold and I couldn't tell that it helped at all OTHER than it actually heated the mold a little, so I started just nuking the molds on a propane grill before I use them.  Works great!  However, they don't reccommend heating the mold any other way than pouring hot lead through it.  It takes pouring about 40 weights through the mold before it is hot enough to start making good weight - so the preheating porocess is worth it cause I didn't pour 40 weights for nothing.  

I will warn you that I am a bit of a nut when it comes to how the weights look.  I don't like wrinkles and you can tell from the sheen whether your lead is too hot or too cold.  it is kind of like a work of art  icon_lol

And just be careful.  The lead is hot and you can get careless.  If it spatters on you, it sticks instantly and it is hard to get off before it has a chance to burn you good.  it cools quickly though.  WATER is your enemy when you have a pot of hot lead.  Don't drink near it or do it while raining.  A single drop of water in a 20 poound pot of hot lead can be quite the show.  Some lead is rather pourous and will hold water in it somehow for a long time.  makes one heck of a noise and will send you running like a sissy (as it should).  another reason i don't like the bottom pour pots is that you bump the handle and out it goes.  most if it hardens instantly, but the splatter will get you.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Rick,

I think there might be quite a lot of difference between aero and hydro dynamics (some similarities too but) that is why planes don't travel well underwater and submarines don't fly  icon_lol  icon_eek  icon_eek .

Life isn't like a box of chocolates..... more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn you tomorrow !!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

David,  fishing deep icon_question   no clicker icon_question   why bother  icon_lol

Well Joe when ya gots a big fish fry coming up and ya needs fish meat, sometimes, as much as it pains me, relaxation takes a second seat to work and secondary methods of fishin that also equates to catchin fish! Smiley

When ya needs fillets and they ain't shallow, sometimes ya just got to swaller yer pride and do whut gets the results that be necessary to achieve the desired results! Smiley

Just to set the record straight.....I prefer shallow fishin to deep fishin, but do like catchin a lot! Smiley

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "DavidP"

Well Joe when ya gots a big fish fry coming up and ya needs fish meat, sometimes, as much as it pains me, relaxation takes a second seat to work and secondary methods of fishin that also equates to catchin fish! Smiley

When ya needs fillets and they ain't shallow, sometimes ya just got to swaller yer pride and do whut gets the results that be necessary to achieve the desired results! Smiley

Just to set the record straight.....I prefer shallow fishin to deep fishin, but do like catchin a lot! Smiley

do you have enough meat?  I have 4 gallon bags from last Monday and I may fish this weekend unless my dad changes his mind.

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

This is true.  But not considering the bernoulli effect in all of this, I am sure that the No Roll will fly straight, but possibly not be as pin point accurate as one with better aerodynamics would.  In the water the pressure moves evenly over the egg allowing it to glide through the water, we the no roll will flutter or spin because of its shape.  Being dragged on the bottom is where the two would make the greatest difference.  I am not sure how often that would happen.  On the other hand the no roll movement in the water might give a better presentation.  I was looking to get the egg but if there was something that was so awesome about the no roll, then I would get it.  I like that I can use the egg in other types of fishing, as it has lower weight mold sections.  It allws for a lot of versility.  And like some said, I can flatten them out if I need a no roll, though if it gets to that point, I might buy the mold.  
Budgeting is big with this hobby.  My Bro and me try to do this to relax, but need it to be cheap.  Walmart does sell sinkers, and so do academy, they range $5-$10 a pound.  When I can but a pound of lead for $.80 and make my own, I will.  Just like I throw for shad as its a great bait and I am only out the cost of a net.

Quote from: "Liverpool_Fan"
Rick,

I think there might be quite a lot of difference between aero and hydro dynamics (some similarities too but) that is why planes don't travel well underwater and submarines don't fly  icon_lol  icon_eek  icon_eek .

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Quote from: "DavidP"

do you have enough meat?  I have 4 gallon bags from last Monday and I may fish this weekend unless my dad changes his mind.

Joe, I think we have plenty after our last trip. We have 630 pieces of fish plus a box of catfish from Sam's. Should be more than enuf.

Thanks for the offer though! If'n we hadn't of had such a great day two weeks ago we would have needed some of your fillets.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

STILL THE BIGGEST BRAD!!! The rest are just wanna

This is true.  But not considering the bernoulli effect in all of this, I am sure that the No Roll will fly straight, but possibly not be as pin point accurate as one with better aerodynamics would.  In the water the pressure moves evenly over the egg allowing it to glide through the water, we the no roll will flutter or spin because of its shape.  Being dragged on the bottom is where the two would make the greatest difference.  I am not sure how often that would happen.  On the other hand the no roll movement in the water might give a better presentation.  I was looking to get the egg but if there was something that was so awesome about the no roll, then I would get it.  I like that I can use the egg in other types of fishing, as it has lower weight mold sections.  It allws for a lot of versility.  And like some said, I can flatten them out if I need a no roll, though if it gets to that point, I might buy the mold.  
Budgeting is big with this hobby.  My Bro and me try to do this to relax, but need it to be cheap.  Walmart does sell sinkers, and so do academy, they range $5-$10 a pound.  When I can but a pound of lead for $.80 and make my own, I will.  Just like I throw for shad as its a great bait and I am only out the cost of a net.

Quote from: "Liverpool_Fan"
Rick,

Have you tried the longer trolling weights?  I have used some withiot the swivels and they were great.

I was the biggest brad.  Until someone changed it and locked my account.  Can't have any fun.
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: