Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2018, 10:20:00 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Live Report  (Read 5848 times)

Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

This might be a stretch but here it goes.

A lot of people have cell phones that can send email or test messages.

Set up an email address. Lets say for the sake of argument email@lakelavonfishing.com

The person (fisherman) sends a test message to that mailbox "Fish are biting NOW. Get out here!" That message is then posted to the site under a new topic.

What do you think?

Scott

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

hhhmmm don't know how you would be able to link that to a username to post under...plus then you have the whole spam mail thing to contend with...don't know if that will work...

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Oh come on now. You give up too easy. Allow posts to the incoming email address only from pre-approved email addresses and have them all post under the same username (remoteuser) but "link" the incoming email address to a user name.

example:
sbursik@vtextcom=ScottB

Should be a simple perl script and some interface into the SQL database.

Scott

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

so where do we get all of these pre-approved email addresses?  Their cell phone email address may not be the one in their profile??

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Some regsitration page that is only available once you are logged in. I will work on a stand alone perl script that should do the job and hand it over for your review.

Scott

Top Bottom  

Group: Pvt Pyle
LLF Fishing Legend

I am not sure what his capabilities are, but Cool_Spruill might have some insight to this as well.

-------------------------
2007 Ranger 1750VS
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I can just see it now. . . the mad dash for the lake will be like the chase scene in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"  icon_lol  icon_lol  icon_lol

If it only takes one truck for the government to haul off all your guns then you don't own enough guns!
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Adam and I looked into it but it looks like its not a capability of the forum/isp.  We would have to run a mail server to tie them together... It would be cool though!  Maybe after I win the lottery this weekend (its over $50million!)  We can buy our own ISP  Cheesy

Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

alright..I have looked into this furthor and I think I can do it...(when Shawn said we looked into it he meant we discussed it while crappie fishing in the rain today..  icon_wink ) give me sometime to finish coding it...I have gotten it to connect to my mail server and retrieve messages but I am having trouble parsing the message into the database...I will also have to code some security restrictions and I will pick a handful of people to be able to be able to give live updates from the lake...

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

See......Dont say it cant be done. At least thats what my team lead tells me when I have a coding "opportunity" that looks like too much work!

Thanks Guys!

Scott

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Adam can't give me $1000 either (lets see if this one works as well as me saying the other can't be done)   Cheesy

Top Bottom  
I bought a box of animal crackers and it said on it "Do not eat if seal is broken." So I opened up the box, and sure enough...
LLF Fishing Legend

well it is far from finished..for now we will test it and see what happens..now we just need Scott to go fishing and send us a message from the lake...

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.  You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Adam
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: