Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 03:29:00 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Beer can chicken  (Read 5017 times)

Group: Pvt Pyle
LLF Fishing Legend

Anyone got a good recipe?  I know there are some "smokers" in here and I need a recipe before Saturday, I cannot find mine.  David, Brad, anyone?  I have the chickens, all the spices, tell me what to mix up and rub with and smoking temp/time.  Thanks Smiley

-------------------------
2007 Ranger 1750VS
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Sorry Pyle I just seen the post. Well contrary to general thought on BBQ chicken, the old adage of low & slow for yardbirds don't work well. Hot & fast is the method virtually all successful BBQ competitors use.

I cook chicken at 350 degrees until the thigh is 170 degrees and the breast is 160 degrees. Thighs can survive 180 degrees but breast meat will start becoming dry as a bone at 165 degrees.

MOst folks who do beer can chicken drink the beer and use the empty can for chicken broth mixed with spices. Black peppa, seasoned salt, garlic & onion & paprika are good along with a little celery & cumin powder. Some folks use oregano but I don't like it.

Make yer rub and put liberally on inside and outside of the chicken. Now if'n I wuz with ya in person, I'd show ya how to put the rub under the skin. We just about de-skin a yardbird and re-assemble the skin after seasoning all under the skin. Makes for yummy birds.

Also can inject the birds with extra broth mixed with yer rub, then strained to remove the undissolved particles. 3 oz per bird is plenty. If's ya can miz with xanthum gum it be better. Makes birds real moist & tasty.

Or can use Chef williams butter creole turkey injection, strained, for a purty good bird too! Can also forego preinjection and save the juices that drip out of the birds by placing an aluminum pan under the chicken. After cookin, strain the juice and inject back into the bird. Let rest and then serve. This works really good as long as the juice isn't too salty. Cook a couple different ways and see whut you like best.

Just cook it hot & fast or the skin will get all rubberey instead of nice & crisp. Mouth feel is second to taste in eatin good food.

Hope this ain't too late.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Wow David as I was reading this post I was licking my lips,This sounds good !

"Whale Chaser"
-Making fish famous since 2008-
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Well the judges liked it too as Big Country BBQ has a bunch of trophies to prove it! Smiley

We have our own rub that was quite a number of years in the making. Although we don't compete any more, there are still some teams winning Grand Champs in both chicken & pork with our rub. Got a different deal for briskets.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

David If you are willing to share I would like some tips on briskets.I have been doing decent ones on the smoker but I want a good flavor of rub that I can mix up.

"Whale Chaser"
-Making fish famous since 2008-
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Lots of salt, black pepper, garlic & onion is all you need for a brisket. Maybe some paprika for color. Salt is just about all you can over-do and it takes a lot to do that. Brisket is a big ole tough cut of meat. Take internal temps to between 195 to 205. When probe inserts easy it be done.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Mr P. you guys sale your chicken and brisket rub?

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Addict

Btroy we don't actively market the stuff but we do sell it on occasions. I buy quality spices by the pound so I don't get a good price break. $8 for a 12 oz shaker bottle. Shipping is extra. That will do a number of yardbirds and 4 to 5 racks of ribs. It is a spicy rub. If you want a sweet rub you will have to cut it with sugar.

I meant to bring some to the gathering but forgot. I have to make a batch soon as a compertition bbq team wants to re-order. I'll make some extra just in case somebody wants some. If not, thenwe will use it on some ribs!  icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Not the biggest, but big enough -- 59lb Blue

Count me in when you make some more! I love to fire up the smoker and try different spices and woods.

Just PM me whenever you make a batch.  Thanks

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

There isn't a better rub on the market than Big Country #10 for poultry..   You could probably sprinkle that over some blue bell and It'd taste good. icon_biggrin

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

There isn't a better rub on the market than Big Country #10 for poultry..   You could probably sprinkle that over some blue bell and It'd taste good. icon_biggrin

I will take some to Mr P.

Top Bottom  

Lunker

15 1/2" Crappie

David P.
I can tell you're a man that knows his way around a kitchen. icon_biggrin  You've got some good ideas icon_exclaim
Marilyn

Keeping the home fires burning.
Top Bottom  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: