Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 08:59:30 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Painting Lures  (Read 6955 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

Ok, So the other day I got to thinking and I wanna make my own road runners.  I wanna make them to say money...... cause as many of you know, I am all kinds of a big spender! So I remembered my wife has some paint that is made to be baked onto stuff like plates and such. so I got to thinking about that and I know its durable. You can scrub that stuff and it doesnt budge.  The stuff is enamel craft paint(Folk Art brand).  The instructions say to bake it at 350*F for 30 min.  So I planned to try this tonight on a small lure and after i bake it I plan to throw it on the garage cement floor to see how durable it is.  If it works I know I can paint a LOT of lures for a few bucks.  Paint isn't over $2 a bottle for a few ounce bottle and that can go a long way, along with having a LOT of colors available.  So anyone try this already?  I just dont wanna spend a lot of money on the dip powder when i can paint on a look I want, have it durable and paint a few hundred for a buck.  Oh, to bake it I planned on using a toaster oven with a thermometer to monitor temp.  Also I checked and the melting point of lead is over 600*F so melting the lure should not be a problem.  and last.  The lures can be hung from their hooks on the little wire rack in the toaster oven on its top rack which is near the top of the unit.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

RickH please post the results of your experiment with the paint.  I have been thinking about learning to make jigs also.
Thanks,
Don

-------------------------
Be Safe and God Bless
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Its delayed for the moment.  As in I ran out of time so I couldnt bake it.  I used a really light weight jig as it was what I have thats not painted already.  I will bake it hopefully tonight.  Also my paint wasnt too thick as I used a q-tip to paint it.  It should work for the experiment.  If this works then we should have a really cheap method.  To boot when you finish painting each lure you just hang it but the hook on that wire rack to let it dry then bake.  I have hope for this stuff since I have seen how much abuse it can take on other surfaces.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Results.

Well, this is my VERY non-scientific conclusion.  After trying the paint, and never had used any other kind.....  I will be using this method.

The result is as follows.  I had only a few 1/32 jig heads that had no paint or anything to test with.  The first had a this coat, the second a much thicker coat from just being dipped.  I both appeared to have descent abrasion resistance.  I scraped against cement as the main test and it only scraped away the area raked against the ground.  I trie banging it as well as I could but being so small and me short on time, i couldnt hit them as well as I wanted. They appeared to have no real impact damage.  The coating feels hardened, seems durable.  As soon as I can get larger unpainted heads and test I will.  The paint is $2 a bottle and available at Hobby lobby in a variety of colors there.... well.. like 20 or so.  Its the folk art acrylic enamels paint.  For the price I thinks its worth a try.  Will post more results when available.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

sounds simple enough.  assuming that you just dip the jig head in the paint, let excess drip off, then place in toaster oven.  Is this process close or am I way off?  
Thanks
Don

Be Safe and God Bless
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

No, your pretty right on.  It can seem a little thick (well, on a tiny lure it kinda did) so I dont know if it will drip off too well. Its not hard to remove the excess.  It can be easily painted on.  Really depends on how u feel.  Me being me, I wanna stretch the buck a little further so I am gonna experment with brushing it on(using el cheapo brush) vs. dipping it.  Which ever is most durable and looks best wins.    An example of that paints drying time.  You have 2 options...... bake at 350* for 30 min, or let air dry.....for 21 days, as per instructions.  I just picked up yellow, black, and white.  I plan to use then within the week after buying a bag of jig heads to experment with.I did notice that it was dry enough after a day to handle enough to paint on eyes if u wanted.  I am sure there are faster ways to paint but dont think any as cheap and durable.  I like the fact that when i scraped it on the floor that it did not break off a section of paint, only that area was removed.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

RickH thanks for the info, I need to go to Barlows tomorrow anyway, so I think I will pick up some jig heads and stop at the Hobby Lobby and get some paint.  Let you know how it works for me.
Don

Be Safe and God Bless
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Cool, please do!  Oh, if u want cheap jig heads they at like....10 for $1.19 at walmart.

Top Bottom  
Lunker

RickH went to Hobby Lobby today and picked up some Folk Art paint.  There are no instructions on the bottles except to wait for 2.0 hrs before applying second coat.  My wife told me after I got home that she has several bottles of the stuff and that she uses it all the time in her crafts.  She has never heard of baking it in and oven.  This stuff I bought is referred to as a vinyl, plaid paint.  Did I get the wrong stuff?  I haven't tried it yet, my wife says it is good stuff, so if it is not the right one, I can just give it to her.

Thanks,
Don

Be Safe and God Bless
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

Sorry to tell ya Don, its not the right stuff.  This one is at the top left paint section of the Allen store.  Check the link below.  Has to be this one to bake.  My wife uses it too.  I would say it might be worth a try to let it dry and see.  You can't bake it, not make for the heat. It Must be the Enamel paint.  If you look on the back, my new ones give the 21 day dry time.  Its $2 a bottle and havent found another that you bake on.  It is meant for decorating glassware.  Not Glass, but glassware.  Glass is a window and you dont want window paint.

FolkArt ® Enamels™

http://www.plaidonline.com/articleDetail.asp?entry=article&articleID=165

Top Bottom  
Lunker

thought that might be the case.  Oh well no foul, no harm, wife says she can use what I have, and I can get some of the right stuff.  She wants to try it on glass anyway, so she is all for me getting some more.  I went to the hobby lobby in Allen and I found the folk art display, but the rack only contained what I got.  But wasn't looking that close.  Will try again.  By the way, in your original post you said you were going to try to paint/make some road-runner (rr) look-a-likes.  Where did you find the unpainted rr jigs?  Barlows did not have them in the store, and I couldn't find them in the catalogue.
Don

Be Safe and God Bless
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

I plan to paint my own.  I have lead and want to buy the mold.  I am cheap and dont wanna pay the high price for them and you can make them for almost 1/10 the cost if you buy pieces in bulk.

Top Bottom  
Lunker Extreme

The "powder coat" type of paints cost around 5 bucks at Barlows and BPS and are super simple to use. I set up a mini propane torch, hold the jig by the hook and heat the head then swish it in the jar. Before you bake them be sure to poke the excess out of the eye. I also use a small toaster oven and it works perfectly. 5 Bucks for the paint might seem a little high, but one jar will do hundreds of jigs and there is no need for a second coat. The process is very, very fast and simple.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

With the one I tried so far I didnt notice a need for a second coat.  The bonus of using these is that its cheap(as cheap or cheaper then the powder), it appears durable, and something that to me can make a different is how much u can customize it.  You can mix colors to get the color or shade you want. You can paint different parts different colors, fade if you want, etc.  Only limited by the imagination.

Top Bottom  
Minnow

Rick if you want to try to make some  tail spinners( Litl George) let me know. I have a mold that you can use. It has 3 sizes No since spending spending $$ if you use mine.  As far as painting I use powder paint i dip mine its a better finesh. I have a old oven that I can heat up a bunch of slabs a once and paint them. Dont use your wife oven She will get.. well you know.l

Tim

Top Bottom  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: