Lake Lavon Fishing
HomeForumHelpSearchLoginRegister
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 20, 2018, 12:01:44 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Incident with bank fisherman & jet skiers-  (Read 7951 times)

LLF Fishing Legend

This is about the incident that happened between myself & 2 folks on a jet ski this past Saturday.

I did not want to post this when it happened cause I was still a little angry at the time. I don't want this as a bash fest on the jet skiers, as they have no reason to read a fishing forum and won't be able to defend their viewpoint on this. I do want a little input from other bank fisherman as how to better handle future situations that may occur, but hopefully, won't.

Recap from my viewpoint-

I was checking a rod I had set up down the bank and noticed 2 folks on a jet ski appeared to be having an issue with one of my lines. It appeared they themselves (not the jet ski, were caught up in my line. I went down to investigate and when I arrived, the female was screaming at me, and the fellow was behaving reasonably, but was telling me I should lower my rod. I told him he should drive his PWC a little farther off the bank, and he would not have an issue with my line. I guess he thought I was being flippant, and got pissed off, starting calling me "stupid" (for not seeing it his way) and other gems. I got pissed off at this time and started screaming back, basically with "Yeah, I'm fishing here, drive a little bit farther out and you won't have an issue with my lines".

It was at a point where I thought the knuckle-chucking was imminent, and, at that point, it was fine by me as my blood was boiling. He then gave me the finger, told me to shove it, and threatened to steal my equipment next time he saw it. I proceeded to tell he that I would shoot him if I had to, to prevent that from happening. He drove off, and I went about my business, but I was pretty pissed off, I had ruined my mobile phone the night before, the fishing had been lousy, and this was the icing on the cake.

I probably would have lowered my rod some after they left, but I felt compelled to tell him how to operate his PWC after he told me how to fish. Anyway, I coulda/shoulda handled it better and will entertain suggestions by the good folks on this forum.

My rod tip was approximately 8 or 9 ft  in the air and I had cast out my high-low rig into the wind with 2 chunks of gizzard shad between 40 & 50 yards. I figured my line was going under the surface of the water @ about 15 yards off the bank. I made this depiction (at the bottom) which shows a rod 9 ft (3 yards) in the air (blue boxes), cast out 50 yards (yellow boxes), and lying on the lake bottom at approximately 18 ft (6 yards). It shows that my line intersects the water surface (thick blue line) at approximately the 17 yard mark. You may have to be logged in to see it.

The rules for PWC state thus

it is unlawful for any person to:
operate PWC within 50 feet of another PWC, motorboat, vessel, platform, person, object, or shore except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake (Headway speed = Slow, idle speed, or speed only fast enough to maintain steerage); and

Here is the link to this:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/laws/pwc/

[attachment deleted by admin on post older than 730 days ]

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

You know, I don't have much to add to this but I was commenting to a friend at work about jet skiers and boaters and how they were so close to the shore all the time.  I was mentioning that I had no idea why they would want to be so near shore and he said:  So they can be seen.

-------------------------
Fiberglass, aluminum, pontoons...whatever floats your boat.
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Quote from: "cheapersleeper"
You know, I don't have much to add to this but I was commenting to a friend at work about jet skiers and boaters and how they were so close to the shore all the time.  I was mentioning that I had no idea why they would want to be so near shore and he said:  So they can be seen.

Exactly...and that is why they will come within 10 feet of your boat at well.  Whole fricking lake and they have to be right there. http://www.northtexasfishing.com/smiles/th_loser.gif
Incident with bank fisherman & jet skiers-

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

Lou, If I ever need a lawyer.....again..... Im going to call you.. just cant fix stupid in some folks Cool  Cool  Cheesy

Top Bottom  

Lunker

They were wrong and you were right..nuff said. What to do next time? Probably the same thing. One of them is going to have to be injured to learn. My Dad always said "If you don't listen, you have to feel". I finally get that.

Top Bottom  
Group: Administrator
LLF Fishing Addict

I think y'all both acted stupid Wink

should have just cut your line and ignored them.  no reason to stoop down to that level.

Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Addict

mixed emotions on this one.  an argument always has the chance of exploding into something worse.  lots of nuts out there.  Lou, for your safety, I am glad it didn't go any further.

i am guessing they learned their lesson and hopefully see that it could have been MUCH worse.

on the other hand, some folks need to be TAUGHT a lesson instead of learning it!  just hard to determine where that line is.  

i always look at something based on whether or not something good can come out of it.  I don't see that anything you said to this moron was going to help you or him in any way and I would have left it alone based on that, but I have been there in a situation and the anger got the best of me.  good news is that we learn from our mistakes (even though you were within your rights, etc).

Joe Simpson
Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

Quote from: "shawn"

should have just cut your line and ignored them.  no reason to stoop down to that level.

You can't be serious.

Top Bottom  

Lunker Extreme

"Stupid"...I honestly hope you're joking....it probably wasn't the right thing to do, but Stupid is pretty harsh...for Lou anyway...the Jet Skier was stupid...if you see a freakin' pole on the bank pointed in the direction that you want to go, you should probably go somewhere else...common sense has to kick in sometime...Heck I'm proud of you Lou for not taking wading out there and taking his head off!

Top Bottom  
LLF Fishing Legend

How far can you throw a gizzard shad?  A few silver missiles would have encouraged them to leave.

Fiberglass, aluminum, pontoons...whatever floats your boat.
Top Bottom  

LLF Fishing Legend

You should have set the hook !

"Whale Chaser"
-Making fish famous since 2008-
Top Bottom